I’ll save my digital marketing predictions for another article and instead just focus on the top SEO tactics your medical or aesthetic practice should focus on in 2018. Everything I’m mentioning here is predicated on your practice making content marketing a priority.
Here are some of the top SEO tactics to implement in 2018:
1) Improve On-Site Engagement: Be aware of your top Behavior stats in Google Analytics, including bounce rate and average time on site. These influence your most important metric, your website conversion rate. You may not even need to look at your stats to know your website needs a facelift.
Now, more than ever, Google evaluates a websites “credibility” based on on-page engagement. Therefore, the user experience on your website indirectly influences your SEO. A fast-loading website, with great media, quality articles, and amazing before & afters will cumulatively aid in improving your website’s organic rankings.
2) “Enhance” Your Blogs: Stop writing boring, short blog articles. Even if you’ve produced thorough, well-written content you may be short-changing yourself because of a poor presentation. Enhance your blogs, and content in general, by posting written copy accompanied by supporting videos, before & after photos, and infographics. All is additional content gets indexed and they make your posts and pages more readable!
3) Lengthen Meta Descriptions: I touched on this recent development in a previous blog post. You should now be writing meta descriptions that are well above the threshold that your SEO plugin is advising (likely 160-170 characters). Aim for a thorough description of 230-320 characters. This will enhance your organic listings and improve click-through rates.
4) New Google My Business Features: I touched on some of the new features Google My Business (GMB) rolled out in 2017 in this article. Take advantage of Posts, which gives your listing a nice call to action to drive more clicks. If you’re wondering how you can uniquely track traffic from your GMB listing compared to general organic traffic then you’ll be happy to know that we have a solution for you here.
5) The Rise of Featured Snippets: If you’re unfamiliar with what Featured Snippets are then I recommend you check out this article. You’ve probably noticed these “blocks” of text showing up at the top of some of your searches. These Featured Snippets present a great opportunity for practices to gain additional visibility by producing content that closely matches “long tail” (very specific, in-depth) searches your prospective patients are performing. The one drawback to Featured Snippets is that often times the searcher may find their answer without even having to click, which means less traffic to your website. Still, I’d rather be positioned at the top of search results even if it means less traffic.
6) Review Schema Markup: This isn’t a new feature, as I predicted a year ago that this would continue to grow, but one that still has a lot of value when it comes to enhancing your search presence. Your first priority should be on growing your patient reviews though. There are many quality softwares out there that can help you with this, but we’re obviously partial to Magic Rating. You can check out the one year report of how all clients are doing using Magic Rating here. Focus on Google My Business, Real Self, and Yelp reviews, in that order.
Got the review strategy in place? Great, now work in the schema markup that’ll show your star ratings next to your organic search results. That’ll dramatically enhance your listing and improve your organic click-through rates, which means more traffic and more leads for your practice!
Keep in mind that these aren’t the only keys to digital marketing success in 2018, we’re just focusing on SEO. Prioritize content marketing this year – including building your blogs, videos, and before & after cases – and follow the tactics above and you’ll set yourself up for organic success.
If you’d like to learn more about SEO then I recommend you check out our collection of SEO articles here. If you have a specific question or would like to learn more about how Turbo can help your medical or aesthetic practice in 2018 then drop us a line here or give us a ring at 877-673-7096 x2.